Nadal offers support for controversial Davis Cup overhaul

Image credit: IANS

World No. 1 Rafael Nadal has thrown his support behind the sweeping changes planned for the Davis Cup, saying the prestigious men's international team competition had been facing problems for several years and needed a new approach.

Speaking to reporters in New York ahead of the US Open, Nadal said it was too early to determine whether the new format would ultimately prove successful, but he welcomed the effort to address the competition's long-standing difficulties.

The 17-time Grand Slam champion also praised the agreement between the International Tennis Federation (ITF), which runs the Davis Cup, and Kosmos, the investment group led by FC Barcelona footballer Gerard Pique. The partnership is reportedly worth $3 billion over 25 years.

Nadal said that if he had been given a vote on the proposed changes, he would have voted in favour of the overhaul because the Davis Cup was no longer functioning as effectively as it once had.

Under the new format, introduced from 2019, the Davis Cup finals will be transformed into an 18-team tournament played over one week in November at a neutral venue.

The participating teams will be divided into six groups of three, with the group winners and the two best second-placed teams progressing to the quarter-finals.

Each tie will feature two singles matches and one doubles match, with all contests played as best-of-three sets.

The new system represents a major departure from the traditional Davis Cup format, which was spread throughout the calendar year and generally featured best-of-five-set matches.

Under the existing system, teams traditionally played two singles matches on Friday, a doubles match on Saturday and, if required, two reverse singles matches on Sunday.

The lengthy schedule had increasingly made it difficult for leading players to commit to the competition. Top-ranked stars often opted out of Davis Cup ties because of their demanding schedules and the need to manage their fitness around the four Grand Slam tournaments.

However, the proposed changes have also faced strong opposition. Tennis legends including Roger Federer and Andy Murray have criticised the overhaul, arguing that the new structure risks stripping away the character and traditions that have made the Davis Cup unique.

The decision to stage the finals at a neutral venue has been particularly controversial. Home crowds and the atmosphere they create have traditionally been an important part of Davis Cup ties.

Under the new system, home matches will still be played in the February qualifying round, which will involve 24 teams competing in 12 ties. The 12 winners will then join the previous year's four semi-finalists and two wild-card teams in the 18-team finals in November.

Nadal acknowledged that the changes were a significant departure from tradition but maintained that the competition needed reform.

His backing is notable given his status as one of the world's leading players and one of Spain's key Davis Cup performers. The overhaul is aimed at making the event more attractive to top players while creating a shorter, more commercially viable international tournament.

Follow Us
Read Reporter Post ePaper
--Advertisement--