Champai Soren Questions Government Over Exam Row, Demands CBI Probe Into JPSC-JSSC Irregularities


Photo: Reporter Post

Former Jharkhand Chief Minister and BJP leader Champai Soren on Saturday launched a strong attack on the state government over the ongoing JPSC-JSSC controversy and the protests by job aspirants. He alleged that instead of addressing the students' core concerns, the government tried to pacify the agitation by announcing the cancellation of examinations.

Soren warned that if the grievances of students are not addressed, the ongoing agitation could gradually turn into a broader people's movement.

Recalling the struggle for a separate Jharkhand, Soren said that even 26 years after the formation of the state, questions over transparency in government recruitment continue to persist. He alleged that recruitment processes under the present coalition government have repeatedly come under scrutiny, prompting young aspirants from across the state to come to Ranchi and protest against alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC examinations.

Why is government avoiding a CBI probe?

Soren said a CBI investigation into the alleged examination irregularities has been one of the key demands of the protesting students. He alleged that the government announced cancellation of the examinations in an attempt to bring the protests to an end, but did not take concrete action on the demand for a CBI probe.

He pointed out that JPSC is a constitutional body and said that several people had already faced action during the CID investigation into the matter. Given the seriousness of the allegations, he argued that the case should be handed over to the CBI.

Soren questioned why the government was reluctant to accept a CBI investigation and alleged that attempts were being made to avoid a probe that could expose those responsible. He said allegations concerning a constitutional institution such as JPSC were a matter of serious concern for the entire state.

Questions over cancellation of examinations

The former Chief Minister also questioned the manner in which the examinations were announced as cancelled. He said there was a prescribed procedure for cancelling an examination and that the decision normally involved the concerned departments and competent authorities.

According to Soren, the cancellation announcement was made in haste with the intention of ending the students' agitation. However, the move failed to satisfy the protesters, who continued their campaign instead of returning home.

Allegation of police action against protesters

Soren also referred to the recent protests across Jharkhand, saying students had planned demonstrations and effigy-burning programmes in all 24 districts. He alleged that police used force against protesters in several places, leaving a number of students injured.

He said some injured students were undergoing treatment in hospitals but maintained that the protesters had largely remained peaceful and restrained despite the action against them.

"This is not a political party's movement. It is an agitation by students and young people," Soren said, asserting his support for the protesters.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Government's intentions questioned

Soren further questioned the government's repeated statements regarding cancellation of examinations while the matter remains before the court. He alleged that the government was using the legal proceedings as an excuse to avoid taking responsibility.

He said the government is required to submit its response before the court by September 15 and alleged that efforts were being made in the meantime to weaken the students' movement.

Soren also referred to action taken against senior officials, including the JPSC chairman, and alleged that while some individuals had faced action, attempts were being made to protect others connected with the controversy.

'Dream of Jharkhand remains incomplete'

Soren said the vision behind the creation of Jharkhand has still not been fully realised. He alleged that corruption has increased and transparency in government recruitment remains a major concern.

Referring to allegations of financial dealings in recruitment processes, he said such allegations cannot be ignored and demanded that the government provide clear answers to the people and job aspirants.

The former Chief Minister accused the government of adopting an authoritarian approach and said the voices of young people demanding transparency and action against corruption cannot be suppressed.

Soren reiterated that he stands with the protesting students and supports their demands. He called upon the government to ensure justice for the aspirants, bring transparency to recruitment processes and address the allegations through an impartial investigation.

He also warned that failure to resolve the students' concerns could give the agitation a much wider public dimension in the days ahead.

Follow Us
Read Reporter Post ePaper
--Advertisement--