Sanjay Seth Slams Jharkhand Government Over Police Action Against Students


Photo: Reporter Post

Union Minister of State for Defence Sanjay Seth on Friday strongly criticised the Jharkhand government over the alleged use of force against students during protests in several cities, including Ranchi, Giridih, Hazaribagh and Garhwa.

Seth alleged that the government was attempting to suppress the students' movement with the help of JMM workers. He said the students had already informed the administration about their plan to burn an effigy of the Chief Minister, yet they were allegedly subjected to a lathi-charge.

Referring to video footage of the incidents, Seth claimed that students were chased and beaten even inside the premises of Sadar Hospital. He alleged that the administration initially used water cannons, tear gas and batons to disperse the protesters and later attempted to restrict treatment of those injured in the clashes.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Seth further alleged that pressure was put on hospital directors and civil surgeons regarding the treatment of injured students. According to him, some hospitals were allegedly asked to discharge injured students, while officials were threatened with consequences, including the loss of their jobs.

Describing the alleged actions as reminiscent of the Emergency era, Seth called them a "Tughlaq-style order" and said the government could not silence the truth through fear or force. He expressed confidence in the country's judicial system and said the students would ultimately get justice.

He also demanded an impartial investigation into the entire episode. Seth placed three key demands before the government: a CBI probe into the examination-related controversy, an investigation into the film 'Setters' and its alleged financial links, and identification of those involved in the lathi-charge through available video footage, followed by FIRs and arrests.

"The government will have to answer for every single baton that fell on the students," Seth said, demanding strict action against those found responsible.

Sanjay Seth Targets Rahul Gandhi

Seth also targeted Congress leader Rahul Gandhi over his alleged silence on the issue. He said that even 12 to 14 hours after the students were allegedly beaten, Rahul Gandhi had not posted anything about the incident.

Seth alleged that Rahul Gandhi was avoiding the issue because he did not see any political benefit in speaking about it. He challenged the Congress leader to visit Ranchi and meet the injured students personally.

Seth said the matter should not be viewed merely as a political confrontation, but as an issue concerning students' rights and accountability for the use of force against protesters.

Follow Us
Read Reporter Post ePaper
--Advertisement--