
RANCHI: Amid the ongoing student agitation, Chief Minister Hemant Soren has taken a major decision regarding competitive examinations in Jharkhand. After a marathon meeting with his Cabinet colleagues, Soren announced that a committee headed by IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal would be constituted to recommend reforms in the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC).
The Chief Minister also announced that all examinations conducted by TDPL, the results published through it, and the selections made through TDPL would be cancelled. He said all activities undertaken by TDPL in connection with the examinations would also stand cancelled.
The state government has further decided to order a judicial inquiry into the JSSC-CGL examination. Soren said the inquiry would be conducted under the chairmanship of a retired judge.
The announcements came after a nearly three-hour meeting at Project Bhavan between the Chief Minister and other Cabinet ministers. Various technical aspects related to the cancellation of examinations were discussed during the meeting.
Earlier, the government had scheduled a meeting with student representatives at the State Guest House at 2 pm to discuss their demands. However, the proposed talks between the students and the government ministers could not take place. Before engaging with the students, the Chief Minister considered it necessary to hold consultations with his Cabinet colleagues. The government will now communicate its decisions to the student representatives.
Soren said students and parents would also be able to submit their suggestions through the government portal. A committee headed by IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal has been approved to work on reforms in the examination system and ensure greater transparency and fairness in the conduct of competitive examinations.
The Chief Minister said the issue concerning the 14th JPSC Preliminary Examination had already been resolved, while the matter relating to the backlog examinations had also been settled. Several appointments had already been made, but final consensus had not been reached on some issues. A special Cabinet meeting was therefore convened to bring the matter to a conclusion.
Soren reiterated that all examinations conducted by TDPL and all activities associated with TDPL would be cancelled. He also announced the judicial inquiry into the JSSC-CGL examination under a retired judge.
The government has already decided to cancel the 14th JPSC examination and two backlog examinations, amid sustained protests by students over alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC examinations. The latest decisions address most of the students’ major demands, although their demand for a CBI probe remains unresolved.
The JSSC-CGL 2023 examination, conducted for 2,025 posts, was held on September 21 and 22, 2024. The results were declared on December 8, 2025. At the time, former DGP Neeraj Sinha was the chairman of the JSSC. He resigned following protests by students over allegations of a paper leak. On December 30, 2025, the government issued appointment letters to successful candidates.
Students have been alleging paper leaks and irregularities in the JSSC-CGL examination since the beginning. Their agitation intensified following allegations of irregularities in JPSC recruitments. During this period, Abhay Tiwari was arrested, and his alleged confessional statement reportedly revealed that large-scale irregularities had also taken place in the JSSC-CGL examination.
The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination has been one of the key demands of the protesting students, along with action over alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC examinations.