
Photo: IANS
At least seven devotees were killed and more than 12 injured in a stampede at the Ashok Dham Temple in Lakhisarai, Bihar, on Monday morning as thousands of devotees gathered for prayers and Jalabhishek on the third Monday of the holy Shravan month.
The Bihar government has announced financial assistance of Rs 4 lakh each for the families of those who lost their lives in the incident. The injured have been shifted to nearby hospitals, while district authorities are monitoring the situation and coordinating rescue and medical arrangements.
According to Lakhisarai District Magistrate Shailendra Kumar, an unusually large crowd gathered at the temple after two trains arrived in the area between around 6.30 a.m. and 6.45 a.m. The sudden surge of devotees reportedly put heavy pressure on the barricading outside the temple, eventually leading to its collapse.
A separate account from officials said an electric pole and wires fell, after which rumours of electric current spreading among the crowd triggered panic. As devotees tried to move away quickly, the situation became uncontrollable and several people fell, leading to the stampede.
Local residents, fellow devotees and emergency personnel immediately began helping those trapped in the crowd. Police and administrative officials also rushed to the temple after receiving information and took charge of rescue operations and crowd management.
Bihar Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary expressed deep sorrow over the deaths and conveyed his condolences to the bereaved families. He said the administration had been instructed to ensure that the injured receive proper and prompt medical treatment.
“The incident at Ashok Dham in Lakhisarai is extremely tragic and heart-wrenching,” Choudhary said in a post on X. He also prayed for peace for those who died and a speedy recovery for the injured.
Bihar Minister Vijay Kumar Sinha described the incident as tragic and unfortunate. Speaking to IANS, he said the stampede occurred outside the temple premises following the fall of a pole and electrical wires. He said rumours that the fallen wires had caused an electric current contributed to the panic.
Sinha said the incident would be investigated and assured that anyone found responsible for negligence would face strict action. He also said medical care for the injured had been given the highest priority.
BJP Bihar president Sanjay Saraogi also expressed grief over the deaths and said the state government had ordered a high-level inquiry. He said the administration was working to ensure proper treatment for the injured and that those found responsible would not be spared.
The incident has once again highlighted the importance of crowd-management arrangements at major religious gatherings, particularly during festivals and auspicious days when large numbers of devotees arrive within a short period. Officials are expected to examine the barricading system, entry and exit arrangements, crowd monitoring and emergency-response measures as part of the inquiry.