Iran reviewing latest US proposals as indirect talks continue through Pakistan

Tehran- Iran on Wednesday said it is reviewing the latest proposals shared by the United States as indirect exchanges between the two countries continue through Pakistani mediation amid ongoing regional tensions.

Speaking to state broadcaster IRIB TV, Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran and Washington have exchanged messages several times through intermediaries and discussions remain active.

Baghaei said Iran’s priority is to end the conflict across multiple fronts, including Lebanon, while pressing key demands such as the release of frozen Iranian assets and an end to what Tehran described as US “maritime piracy” and hostile measures targeting Iranian shipping.

He added that although Iran entered the diplomatic process with “goodwill and seriousness,” it continues to view Washington with deep suspicion because of what he called the United States’ poor track record over the past 18 months.

The spokesman also said Iran, in coordination with Oman, is working on a framework aimed at ensuring long-term security in the Strait of Hormuz. Tehran is reportedly prepared to develop joint maritime safety protocols with other coastal nations in the region.

According to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, citing a source close to the negotiation team, Washington has submitted a revised draft proposal after Tehran recently shared its own 14-point plan.

The mediator is currently in Tehran attempting to narrow the differences between both sides, although no final agreement has been reached so far.

Meanwhile, Masoud Pezeshkian reiterated Iran’s position in a post on X, stating that Tehran has consistently honoured its commitments and sought to prevent further escalation.

“All paths remain open from our side. Forcing Iran to surrender through coercion is nothing but an illusion,” Pezeshkian wrote.

Iran, the United States and Israel reached a ceasefire on April 8 following 40 days of conflict triggered by joint US-Israeli strikes on Tehran and other Iranian cities on February 28.

Subsequent talks between Iranian and US delegations were held in Islamabad on April 11 and 12 but failed to produce a breakthrough.

Following the conflict, Iran tightened control over the Strait of Hormuz, restricting passage for vessels linked to the US and Israel. After negotiations stalled, Washington responded by imposing a naval blockade around the strategic waterway, affecting ships travelling to and from Iranian ports.

 

With inputs from IANS

Follow Us
Read Reporter Post ePaper
--Advertisement--
Weather & Air Quality across Jharkhand