Jharkhand protests: Why CM Soren is not joining talks with students, asks BJP

Photo: IANS

As the student agitation over alleged irregularities in Jharkhand's recruitment examinations entered its 24th day on Monday, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) questioned why Chief Minister Hemant Soren was not directly participating in talks with the protesters to resolve the issue.

A fourth round of discussions between government representatives and the protesting students is scheduled for Monday. The outcome of the meeting is expected to determine the next course of the agitation, which has continued for more than three weeks.

BJP spokesperson Pratul Shah Deo criticised the state government over its handling of the protest and questioned the Chief Minister's decision not to join the dialogue.

“First, I would like to ask the Chief Minister, why, in the first place, was the sequence of talks broken?” Deo told IANS. He alleged that the government had not only discontinued the earlier dialogue process but had also used force against the protesters, including lathi-charge and tear gas.

Deo also questioned why Soren was not attending Monday's meeting personally. According to the BJP leader, some students had expressed a lack of confidence in the ministers representing the government because of remarks allegedly made against the protesters.

The BJP spokesperson further claimed that some members of the delegation were not students and alleged that protesters had also been accused of having political affiliations. He said the government should focus on addressing the students' concerns rather than questioning their motives.

Deo described the protesters' demands as straightforward and urged the government to take a decision without prolonging the negotiations.

According to him, one of the key demands is cancellation of examinations conducted by private testing agency TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), which the BJP leader claimed had been blacklisted. The protesters have also demanded a CBI investigation into alleged irregularities.

“What is wrong with it?” Deo asked, arguing that if the Chief Minister accepted the key demands, the prolonged negotiations could come to an end and the students could return home.

The students have been holding a continuous protest at Ranchi's Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium, demanding strict action over alleged irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC).

The agitation has also included hunger strikes, with several protesters reportedly facing health problems. The students have announced plans to lay siege to the Chief Minister's residence on August 20 if their demands are not addressed.

The BJP's intervention adds a political dimension to an already prolonged dispute between the government and the protesters. For the administration, Monday's fourth round of talks offers an opportunity to address the immediate concerns while also discussing longer-term reforms to strengthen the recruitment examination system.

For the students, however, the key test will be whether the government provides concrete assurances on cancellation of the disputed examinations, an independent investigation and measures to prevent similar allegations in future.
 

Follow Us
Read Reporter Post ePaper
--Advertisement--